Thursday, September 24, 2015

Two HCV Drugs to Be Discontinued

Two HCV Drugs to Be Discontinued

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced that Rebetol (ribavirin; Merck) capsules and PegIntron (peginterferon alfa-2b; Merck) for Injection are being discontinued. The decision is business-related and not due to safety or efficacy issues with the drugs.

Rebetol is a nucleoside analogue indicated for chronic hepatitis C in combination with interferon alfa-2b (pegylated and nonpegylated), in patients ≥3 years of age with compensated liver disease. It is supplied as 200mg capsules in 56-, 70-, and 84-count bottles. The Rebetol discontinuation is effective February 1, 2016.

PegIntron is an antiviral indicated for treatment of chronic hepatitis C in patients with compensated liver disease. It is supplied as 50mcg/0.5mL, 80mcg/0.5mL, 120mcg/0.5mL, and 150mcg/0.5mL single-use vials and single-use pre-filled pens. No effective date is available for the PegIntron discontinuation.

For more information call (888) 463-6332 or visit FDA.gov.
Source
http://www.empr.com/safety-alerts-and-recalls/rebetol-pegintron-to-be-discontinued/article/440426/


2 comments:

  1. I was subjected to three poisons in the 1990's to 2000. They literally destroyed me. I lost my career, became permanently disabled, lost my home, lost everything. The companies that pushed the drugs knew how detrimental they were as well as ineffective. Shame on the people who pushed terrible and didn't want to hear about the suffering drugs. I wish the CEO'S of these companies had experienced these drugs which almost killed me and did wreck my life. Shame on you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did treatment in 2002 and had sustained response for 12 years..... Ask me how those 12 years eere as far as quality of life and I'd honestly have to say it wasn't easy with the more debilitating Major Deppression I have experienced since then. I am now disabled and don't see ever bejng able to return to work as a Nurse. Big deal huh.

    ReplyDelete