Friday, October 3, 2014

Be Hip To Hep: Dispelling old myths and discovering the hopes for those with hepatitis C

Be Hip To Hep: Dispelling old myths and discovering the hopes for those with hepatitis C

Good morning folks, over at DentistryIQ an insightful article about living with hepatitis C now available for your reading pleasure.

Dr. Muñoz, professor of English at Cosumnes River College writes from a patients perspective about living with HCV.

The article offers information about; diagnosis, transmission/sexual transmission, risk factors, blood tests, stigma - "In addition to work difficulties, my personal life disintegrated. I felt a sense of shame as I listened to a friend unwittingly joke how Pamela Anderson was repulsive. Not because of her famously exaggerated cup size, but rather (and solely) because she had the misfortune of contracting HCV." as well as treatment, and advice for persons living with the virus.

Be hip to hep

Dispelling old myths and discovering the hopes for those with hepatitis C

BY HEIDI EMMERLING MUÑOZ, PhD

"You have hepatitis C."

Those words turned my life upside down. I tell this story not to elicit sympathy but to illustrate what it means to live with hepatitis C (HCV): the physical as well as the emotional. Only now, because I am out of clinical hygiene and because there is a cure in sight, do I feel safe in telling my story.

I also tell this story to urge screening and to give hope to anyone living with HCV.
Continue reading....

No comments:

Post a Comment