Friday, November 29, 2013

Lucinda Porter: The Hepatitis C Battle Won - The War Continues

Lucinda Porter: The Hepatitis C Battle Won - The War Continues

I'm not a name dropper, but let me drop this, my friend Lucinda Porter had a small cameo appearance on Hep C TV. I know!

Right off folks I noticed something different, lovely Lucinda looked healthy, vibrant, young, even Gwyneth Paltrow like, she looked new.

I knew Lucinda had participated in a HCV trial using sofosbuvir for twelve weeks, but I had no idea it was working so well. Why else would Lucinda look so hot? It must be the drugs.

Gossip And L.
I never spread gossip, however, I heard L. exhibited some moody behavior during HCV therapy.

I refuse to believe it, and would never make anyone's irrational behavior under the influence of lifesaving agents public knowledge. So you didn't hear that from me.

Checking On Lucinda
I frequently stroll over to Gwyneths blog hoping to find the results from her 24 week post PCR. The test is given 24 weeks after finishing HCV treatment and will determine if the virus is gone for good, or nondetectable.

Drum Roll Please..............

Lucinda Made An Announcement - And I Missed It

I get to announce my 24-week post-treatment follow-up results: hepatitis C is nondetectable

Congratulations Lucinda !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The War Continues

A Word From Ms. Porter
I wish I was out of a job, but just because I am free of hepatitis C doesn’t mean that the world is. I feel like I have just begun. Now I have high-powered hope on my side and I want to spread this hope to all those who need it.

The HCV Drugs: Sofosbuvir, Ledipasvir Alone Or With Ribavirin
Lucinda treated for 12 weeks using sofosbuvir, ledipasvir, and ribavirin.
In the November issue of "The Lancet" researchers suggest that the fixed-dose combination of sofosbuvir-ledipasvir alone or with ribavirin has the potential to cure most patients with genotype-1 HCV including those with compensated cirrhosis or who have previously failed treatment with protease inhibitors.

Accomplished Author
Lucinda is an accomplished author, with two books on hepatitis C, the latest "Hepatitis C Treatment One Step at a Time" is a great book to sleep with - keep it close during treatment. 

A Proficient Public Speaker
If you are a fan, like myself, you'll enjoy watching our advocate speak passionately about HCV, here.

Find Pretty Porter On The Web
Follow L on Twitter, connect on Facebook and read her blogs Lucinda Porter, RN and The Hepatitis Comics: Levity for the Liver.

On A Personal Note.....
When I first heard of "The Porter" it was some fifteen years ago, I was starting treatment looking for information. I found that information and more at the "Peoples Hepatitis C Website" which remains my trusted source for all things HCV.

Flash Forward From 1999 To 2013
Today, I am still virus free, living life, and celebrating each day as I watch my family grow and prosper. As I type this, especially after just spending 48 hours with my family, and playing with the short people, Nana's computer screen has become blurry, my eyes have quickly filled with tears. From the bottom of my heart, thank you Lucinda Porter, Alan Franciscus, C.D. Mazoff, PhD and the staff at HCV Advocate for helping me find my cure, I am truly full of gratitude, thank you.

See you all soon

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Tina, thank you for this unexpected and lovely piece. However, in the interest of honesty I must address one point. As much as I like the fact that you said I "looked young" I can't credit treatment with this change. While trying to differentiate my facebook page from my author page, I was short on time and uploaded a 7 year old photo - so naturally I look younger! I've been meaning to update the photo, but now that you compared me to Gwyneth Paltrow. I might let it sit for a bit.

    Thank you for recognizing the folks at the HCV Advocate and for all you have done to help the hep C community.

    ReplyDelete