Noninvasive tests may determine chronic hepatitis C survival
By Lauretta Ihonor
06 April 2011Gastroenterology 2011;
Advance online publicationMedWire News: Noninvasive determination of liver fibrosis severity offers greater 5-year prognostic value in chronic hepatitis C patients than the gold standard liver biopsy, study findings indicate.
These noninvasive tests - FibroTest (a liver biomarker test) and liver stiffness (measured by ultrasound scan) - may help clinicians evaluate liver disease severity earlier in the disease process, and to decide if liver transplant, portosystemic shunts, or surgery will be required by the patient at a later date, say the authors.
The analysis, published in the journal Gastroenterology showed that FibroTest and liver stiffness measurements had high predictive accuracies for 5-year chronic hepatitis C survival, with respective area under the receiver operating characteristic curve (AUC) values of 0.80 and 0.82.
In contrast, liver biopsy had a lower, albeit clinically acceptable, AUC value of 0.76.
The findings arise from a study involving 1457 patients with chronic hepatitis C who were followed-up for 5 years.
During this time, 16 (1.1%) patients underwent liver transplant and 77 (5.3%) died from any cause (39 liver disease-related).
Victor de Lédinghen (Hôpital Haut-Lévêque, Bordeaux, France) and team report that the majority of patients with a major adverse outcome (death or transplant) during follow-up had liver fibrosis defined as severe by biopsy, FibroTest, or liver stiffness measurement.
For example, of the 93 patients who died or had a transplant, 68.8% had a liver stiffness measurement of at least 14.5 kPa - a level indicating liver cirrhosis.
In addition as liver stiffness and FibroTest values increased, reflecting worsening fibrosis severity, patient survival rates decreased.
De Lédinghen and colleagues say: "Liver stiffness and FibroTest are already a strong daily parameter to give information to patients and their family on the severity of the liver disease."
However, these tests could replace liver biopsy in the evaluation of hepatitis C prognosis, they conclude.
MedWire (www.medwire-news.md) is an independent clinical news service provided by Springer Healthcare Limited. © Springer Healthcare Ltd; 2011
Noninvasive tests may determine chronic hepatitis C survival
Stay Updated: Get Updates For HCV New Drugs Delivered By Email
HCV In The News
Hepatitis C New Drug Research And Liver Health
RSS Feed: Website Updates
Sofosbuvir for Hepatitis C: Simpler, Shorter, Safer?
Prescribing and patient information, FDA articles, videos and important updates
Simeprevir Approved In The United States
OLYSIO™ (simeprevir) Receives FDA Approval for Combination Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C
Johnson & Johnson's protease inhibitor OLYSIO (Simeprevir) is approved for the treatment of HCV genotype 1, in combination with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin in adults with compensated liver disease, including cirrhosis, who are treatment-naïve or who have failed previous interferon therapy (pegylated or non‑pegylated) with ribavirin.
Simeprevir was approved in Japan this past September , and in Canada on November 20th.
*Updated December 5
HCV Drug Olysio (simeprevir) - The New Kid On The Block
OLYSIO (Simeprevir) Cost? - Janssen has priced Olysio at a wholesale acquisition price of $22,120 per bottle of 28 capsules (150 mg capsules), which is an approximately one-month supply. That's roughly $66,360 for a three-month course.
Lessons Learned - An important lesson we learned from these drugs may serve as a reminder for future DDAs, that is, once telaprevir and boceprevir were used in larger groups of patients, or in "real-life" settings - outside clinical trials, new response rates and adverse effects began to emerge.
Simeprevir drug–drug interactions - Simeprevir has a list of medications that can cause drug–drug interactions Other medications can interfere with the way DDAs are metabolized. The drug–drug interactions can either increase drug concentrations which may cause toxicity and lead to side effects, or decrease drug concentrations leading to a loss of efficacy.
Off Label Use - Simeprevir and Sofosbuvir? - Paul Sax, Editor-in-Chief at NEJM Journal Watch wrote an article this past summer on the possibility of combining simeprevir and sofosbuvir with or without ribavirin, to create an off label interferon-free regimen....
J & J Patient Financial Assistance Program
Important Safety Information
OLYSIO (simeprevir) - Resistant Variant Q80K polymorphism
Olysio-simeprevir/Dosing & Uses, Drug Interactions, Adverse Effects
On November 22nd the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP), the scientific committee of the European Medicines Agency (EMA), supported Sovaldi® (sofosbuvir) for the Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C
The CHMP opinion supports the approval of Sovaldi for the treatment of HCV in combination with other agents. The CHMP's recommendation will now be reviewed by the European Commission, which has the authority to approve medicines for use in the 28 countries of the European Union (EU).
FDA Updates - Sofosbuvir
In October the Antiviral Drugs Advisory Committee recommend the approval of Gilead's Sofosbuvir, a nucleotide analog NS5B polymerase inhibitor in combination with just ribavirin for treating adult HCV genotypes 2/3 and in combination with pegylated interferon/ribavirin for genotype 1 and 4 treatment-naive patients.
The FDA does not have to follow the advice of its panels, but most often does. The U.S. health regulators are scheduled to decide whether to approve sofosbuvir by December 8th 2013
For detailed information please download the FDA review package for sofosbuvir and simeprevir.
FDA Updates For Sofosbuvir
FDA Updates For Simeprevir
Quick Links - Hepatitis C Investigational Drugs
News, Research And Clinical Trials
See **Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate For Enrollment Information
AbbVie is a new, independent biopharmaceutical company composed of Abbott’s former proprietary
News and Research
ABT-450/r - ABT-267 - ABT-333-non- nucleoside
r = ritonavir
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-AbbVie
News and Research
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-Achillion
News and Research
Faldaprevir/ (BI 201335)
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-Boehringer Ingelheim
News and Research
GS-7977 now Sofosbuvir/BMS-790052 now Daclatasvir,
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS)
News and Research
GS-0938 and Sofosbuvir
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-Gilead
News and Research
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-Idenix
News and Research
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-Tibotec / Janssen
News and Research
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-Merck
News and Research
**ClinicalTrials.gov - Danoprevir
News and Research
**ClinicalTrials.gov - Miravirsen
News and Research
**Clinical Trials @ HCV Advocate-Vertex
To learn more about Hepatitis C virus clinical trials or to find out if a study is enrolling patients in your area, please click here.
ClinicalTrials.gov: updated in the last 30 days
- ► 2013 (921)
- ► 2012 (1293)
- What can new era of Hepatitis C antivirals offer b...
- Hepatitis C News For Friday April 20th
- Merck Executive Sees FDA OK, Launch Of Boceprevir ...
- New Video 2011/Hepatitis C Treatment W-Telaprevir ...
- FDA Panel Backs Approval Of Telaprevir For Hepatit...
- FDA May See Advantages for Telaprevir Over Bocepre...
- Hepatitis C Therapy; Adherence to Treatment and Qu...
- New Hepatitis C Drugs In The News; Telaprevir and ...
- FDA panel backs Merck/Boceprevir hepatitis drug
- Telaprevir April 28th View The "Live Webcast" From...
- "Yes" FDA advisory panel recommends approval of bo...
- Boceprevir "Live Feed" From The FDA Advisory Panel...
- Merck/Boceprevir: FDA Hep C Panel "Live Blog" From...
- Atwater Carey First Aid Kit Consumers Regarding Tr...
- Vertex will utilize AGA Digestive Health Outcomes ...
- Hepatitis C;Phase 3 trials recruiting to evaluate ...
- Video/Hearing about VA dental clinic-Five patients...
- FDA Staff Sees Only Minor Issues for Telaprevir
- Hepatitis C News; Boceprevir Wins Favorable FDA St...
- Hepatitis C News; Boceprevir(safety issues) and Te...
- First Patient Enrolled in Gore Early TIPS for Asci...
- Wednesday- Boceprevir Thursday-Telaprevir: Goes Be...
- Happy Easter
- Top 15 Least Contaminated Fruits, Vegetables
- 579 approved for medical marijuana in Arizona
- Treat Depression to Boost Diabetes Self-Care: Stud...
- Comparison of treatments for chronic fatigue syndr...
- New Orleans "Endoscopes Were Not Properly Steriliz...
- Is the Edmonton HCV/HIV Scenario Setting Us Back D...
- Hepatitis C; Idera Delays Initiation of Phase 2 C...
- Gut Bacteria Falls Into Three Major Types
- Antidepressants may not improve all symptoms of de...
- A randomized controlled trial of peginterferon alf...
- Depression May Complicate Hepatitis C Therapy
- "Post" Hepatitis C Treatment Problems/Symptoms : A...
- Walnuts: Healthy Nuts and You
- FDA Panel Is Set To Review Two New Hepatitis C Dru...
- Genetics of hepatitis C linked hepatocellular carc...
- Ohio panel wants more VA tests for clinic patients...
- HCV/HIV; The Risk Is Low For Edmonton surgical pat...
- Merck- Boceprevir, Vertex-Telaprevir Prep for Hep ...
- Positive Clinical Data of JX-594 in Combination W-...
- Water Frogs Update;Risk for Salmonella
- Hep C In The News;Menopause,Oysters,Antidepressant...
- Hepatitis C treatment among racial and ethnic grou...
- Hepatitis C News; European Gastroenterologists Wil...
- Fatty Liver Disease Can Lead to Heart Attack
- AIDS Prevention Pill Study Halted; No Benefit Seen...
- Hepatitis in Ambulatory Care: The Need for New Str...
- Ginseng doesn’t help patients with early diabetes
- Monday Hepatitis C In The News; HIV Vaccine As Dis...
- Hepatitis C: IL28B test Launced by AccuType® to ph...
- Is Type-2 diabetes an autoimmune disease?
- Prime-Boost Vaccine Against Hepatitis C: CInovio,T...
- Treating Hepatitis C: That Was Then, This is Now
- Drug-Related Adverse Events Soar, Linked to Pricey...
- Should Patients with Abnormal Liver Function Tests...
- Common drug linked to hepatitis
- The Hepatitis C Treatment Pipeline Report
- HCV New Drugs; Blog Updates
- Adverse Effects: Management of Hepatitis C Antivir...
- Stages in Chronic Hepatitis C: Blood Test and Fibr...
- Impact of radiation:Hepatitis virus infection on r...
- Review of liver injury associated with dietary sup...
- 47 percent of people 50 years old and over use her...
- Boceprevir, Telaprevir to Usher in New Era of Hepa...
- Hepatitis C; Highlighting Conatus' Drug CTS-1027
- Hepatitis E Virus infection in HIV-infected patien...
- Video-Chronic fatigue syndrome:Potential causes an...
- Community and personal risk factors for hepatitis ...
- Nationwide study finds US meat and poultry is wide...
- NBLCA Says Defunding Healthcare will Hurt HIV/AIDS...
- Hepatitis C; Understanding the Basic Metabolic Pro...
- Inflammation of the Liver
- HIV/AIDS-like symptoms; UNDIAGNOSED DEBILITATING I...
- Hep C and alcohol on liver-related morbidity and m...
- Hepatitis C: Greenwich doctor accused of insider t...
- Video/Physicians often recommend treatment options...
- HCC (liver cancer), diet, and metabolic factors
- Hepatocellular recurrence after orthotopic liver t...
- Fibroscan for assessing liver fibrosis: An accepta...
- Milk thistle for treatment of nonalcoholic fatty l...
- Hepatitis C News; Update On H&P Tainted Wipes
- VA patients, adults, now children at risk for cont...
- Hepatitis C News; Pediatric tampered vaccines also...
- Predicting sustained virological response in chron...
- New Compounds Show Promise Against Hepatitis C Inf...
- Hepatitis C: Why Am I So Tired ? Fatigue In HCV
- Hepatitis C News; PPI-437, PPI-668 AND PPI-833 ACT...
- Guideline for Treating Diabetic Nerve Pain Unveile...
- Doctors won't always take their own advice: study
- Study;Low carnitine levels linked to fatigue sever...
- Noninvasive tests may determine chronic hepatitis ...
- Patients taking antidepressants likely to stick wi...
- Hepatitis C Making The Monday News; New Technique ...
- The health halo effect: Don't judge a food by its ...
- Hepatitis C; How interferon-induced genes launch a...
- Hepatitis C: Sunday Mornings, My Computer and Coff...
- Boomer Health Hepatitis C isn’t only found in drug...
- New Zealand Trial PSI-7977 and RBV With and Witho...
- Tackling hepatitis C: a tale of two countries
- Avalanche of hepatitis C products on the way
- High-intensity ultrasound gets high marks for HCC ...
- ED ultrasound helpful but not definitive in diagno...
- Telaprevir Increases Second-Phase Hepatitis C Decl...
- New hepatitis C drugs pose many questions
- Updated April 8th; Digest Of Over 100 US Hepatitis...
- Hepatitis C Update Phase 2b ATOMIC Trial of PSI-79...
- Hepatitis C Update Phase III Trial of TMC435 Now R...
- Hepatitis C Making The News: April 8th
- RISK FACTORS FOR DEVELOPMENT OF HEPATOCELLULAR CAR...
- ASSESSMENT WITH MAINTENANCE INTERFERON IN PATIENTS...
- DOES SCREENING FOR HEPATITIS C RESULT IN EARLY DET...
- PROGRESS OF LIVER DISEASE IN HEPATITIS C VIRUS CAR...
- LONG-TERM FOLLOW UP OF PATIENTS WITH SPONTANEOUS C...
- SUBTYPE 1B DOES NOT CONFER A TREATMENT ADVANTAGE T...
- BASELINE SERUM HDL AND VITAMIN D LEVELS ARE STRONG...
- DIFFERENT PATTERN OF DECOMPENSATION IN ALCOHOLIC V...
- LIVER RELATED EVENTS AND SURVIVAL IN PATIENTS WITH...
- EASL;Session Title: Category 02b: Cirrhosis and it...
- Bay County Health Dept: Bacteria found in raw oyst...
- AP IMPACT: Synthetic drugs send thousands to ER "m...
- Hepatitis C "HALT-C" Increased mortality rates see...
- Surgeon who removed healthy organs only gets four ...
- Dried blood spots for HCV measurement among inject...
- Treatment For Liver Cancer – Study On The Outcome ...
- HCV News;Roche Joins in Spanish Research Cooperati...
- Hepatitis C; IL28B-Genotype Testing Now and in the...
- Can chronic hepatitis C resolve spontaneously?
- Acute pericarditis due to pegylated interferon alp...
- Video/ Walnuts May Be The Healthiest Nut
- Getting to the root of fatty liver disease
- 2011 EASL; Easy To Understand Summary of the inves...
- Hepatitis C In The News For April 5; Mericitabine ...
- Liver Cancer;PS-Targeting Antibody Significantly I...
- More On Tainted Wipes;U.S. marshals seize material...
- Transmission of Hepatitis B Virus from Blood Donor...
- Diabetes Increased risk liver cancer in men and wo...
- Issues Clinical Practice Guidelines for Management...
- Two VA dental clinic patients test positive for he...
- (RG7128) Slides/Data on all the New HCV drugs pres...
- EASL; Phase 2 Study of ABT-450/r for Treatment of ...
- Expensive new hepatitis c drugs may restrict use i...
- BI 201335; Positive Phase 2 results Boehringer Ing...
- Hepatitis C compound BI 201335 moves into Phase II...
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease will reach epide...
- HEPATOCELLULAR CARCINOMA ; THALIDOMIDE SHOWS EFFIC...
- Drug-resistant variants emerge in most patients wh...
- Bristol-Myers Interferon-Free Combo And 4-Drug Co...
- EASL; Hepatitis C "IMO-2125" in Treatment-Naïve Ge...
- New hepatitis c protease inhibitors from Dr. Joe G...
- New Video: Boceprevir research published in the Ne...
- Hepatitis C ; Telaprevir Helps in Prior HCV Tx Fai...
- Autologous Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells And Gene...
- Boceprevir; Four-Week Lead-In Response and IL28B S...
- Better Then SOC; Improvements in Viral Cure Rates ...
- EASL; INX-189 Positive Safety/Antiviral Data from ...
- EASL "VX-222 Plus Telaprevir,Peg/Riba" Interim Pha...
- Hepatitis C; HCC Have Risen Dramatically
- EASL "TMC435" Hepatitis C Phase 2b ASPIRE Study We...
- ▼ April 2011 (160)
Patient Assistance Program
INCIVEK/Telaprevir and VICTRELIS (Boceprevir) Patient Assistance Programs
Prescribing Information for INCIVEK including the Medication Guide.
VICTRELIS™- Boceprevir: Prescribing Information and Medication Guide
Hepatitis C-New Protease Inhibitor (NS3/4A) Drug Resistance Test
LabCorp has begun offering nationwide its hepatitis C GenoSure NS3/4A assay, which is designed to identify NS3 and NS4A mutations and NS3-associated resistance to a pair of recently approved HCV protease inhibitors.
- 2012 -168 Pages Of HCV FAQs (1)
- a 2013 Conference ID Week (3)
- A 2013 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (4)
- A Guide 2011-Management Of HCV (2)
- A Guide 2012-Guideline for Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (1)
- A-2012 EASL-AASLD Special Conference (2)
- A-2012 Update on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Hepatitis C (1)
- A-2012-New guidelines on the management of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). (1)
- A-Current status and future directions in the management of chronic hepatitis C (1)
- a-DDW 2011 Meeting (11)
- a-DDW 2012 meeting (21)
- a-DDW 2013 meeting (23)
- A-EASL 2011 Summary (1)
- A-EASL 2012 (79)
- A-EASL 2012 - Guidelines on the Management of Chronic Hepatitis B (1)
- A-EASL 2012 Index (1)
- A-EASL 2012 Internet Symposium (2)
- A-EASL 2012 Summary Of The Meeting (1)
- a-EASL 2013 (51)
- A-EASL 2013 Summary Of The Meeting (1)
- a-EASL 2013-abstract search (1)
- A-List Of Unnecessary Medical Tests (1)
- A-New targets for antiviral therapy (100)
- AASLD 2011 updated hepatitis C practice guidelines (2)
- AASLD 2012-63rd Annual Meeting (73)
- AASLD 2012-STC (1)
- AASLD 2013 (46)
- AASLD 2013 Summary-Symposium (2)
- AASLD Nov 2011 (60)
- AASLD Nov 2011-Pocasts-Videos-Webcasts (2)
- AASLD Nov 2011-Summary (1)
- AASLD Oct2010 (80)
- AASLD Oct2010-summary (1)
- ABT-267 (13)
- ABT-333-non- nucleoside (13)
- ABT-450 (11)
- ABT-450/r (25)
- ABT-450/r and ABT-072 (4)
- ABT-450/r plus ABT-333 (10)
- ABT-450/R/ ABT-267/ABT-333/ribavirin (5)
- Acetaminophen Safety (9)
- ACH-1625 (15)
- ACH-2684 (5)
- ACH-2928 (2)
- ACH-3102 (9)
- acute HCV (4)
- addiction (21)
- Adherence to therapy (13)
- alcohol consumption (17)
- alisporivir (4)
- ALS-2200 (3)
- ALS-2200 (VX-135) (13)
- ALS-2200 and ALS-2158 (3)
- ALS2158 (1)
- ANA598 (5)
- ANA598-setrobuvir (2)
- ANA773 (1)
- ANA958 (1)
- anemia (9)
- antidepressants (5)
- arthritis (5)
- ascites (9)
- Asunaprevir (4)
- autoimmune hepatitis (1)
- Avila Therapeutics™ (1)
- AVL-192 (2)
- bath salts-spice (14)
- Bavituximab (5)
- BCX5191 (2)
- Behind the Headlines (10)
- Behind the Headlines-Vaccine (1)
- Best Hospitals (5)
- BI 201335 and BI 207127 (10)
- BI 207127 (7)
- BILB 1941 (1)
- Bioartificial Liver (3)
- biological "devices" to program cells (1)
- Biopump (1)
- BioScience (2)
- biosimilars (6)
- BIT225 (2)
- BL-8020 (2)
- blood safety (3)
- blood scandal (3)
- bms-650032 (6)
- BMS-650032 (Asunaprevir) BMS-790052 (Daclatasvir) (10)
- BMS-650032 and BMS-790052 (5)
- bms-790052 (18)
- bms-790052-declatasvir (10)
- BMS-986094-INX 189 halted (8)
- BMS-986094-INX 189 on hold (7)
- boceprevir (98)
- Boceprevir FDA Transcript (1)
- boceprevir patient guide (1)
- boceprevir-drug assistance program (3)
- boceprevir-Medication Guide-Prescribing Info (1)
- boceprevir-victrelis (194)
- boceprevir-victrelis-Cost (1)
- boceprevir-victrelis-mericitabine w-SOC (1)
- Bowel (1)
- Brain (7)
- Caleco Pharma (1)
- Canada (3)
- cancer (15)
- cancerous growths gallbladder and/or the bile duct (1)
- CDC (5)
- CDC- World Hepatitis Day 2011 (1)
- CDC- World Hepatitis Day 2012 (4)
- CDC- World Hepatitis Day 2013 (2)
- children treating HCV (15)
- chronic disease (2)
- chronic fatigue (16)
- chronic liver failure (2)
- chronic pain (3)
- cirrhosis (190)
- cirrhosis-complications (13)
- cirrhosis-Vibrio vulnificus-raw oysters (2)
- clinical trials (128)
- clinical trials-Pro-Con (4)
- coffee (31)
- Colloidal silver (2)
- colonoscopy (2)
- compensated cirrhosis (11)
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (30)
- Counterfeit drugs (8)
- covalent inhibitor (2)
- Creating Functional Hepatic Tissue (1)
- Cryoglobulinemia (5)
- CTS-1027 (5)
- Cyclophilin Inhibitors (1)
- Daclatasvir (9)
- daclatasvir-peg/riba (4)
- Daclatasvir/Asunaprevir (7)
- daclatasvir/asunaprevir/BMS-791325 (5)
- Daily Consensus Interferon (1)
- Danoprevir (17)
- Danoprevir/Mericitabine (3)
- DEB025 (2)
- DEB025- alisporivir (4)
- decompensated cirrhosis (18)
- Dental (4)
- Depression (17)
- diabetes (106)
- diabetes-insulin resistance (8)
- Digestion (2)
- Direct-acting Antivirals (11)
- disease progression (13)
- donation (16)
- drug alerts (1)
- Drug Assistance Programs (5)
- Drug Resistance Test (1)
- drug shortages (1)
- dry eye (3)
- dyspepsia (1)
- EASL (59)
- Economic Burden HCV (2)
- ELAD® Bioartificial Liver (1)
- encephalopathy (28)
- endoscopy (1)
- Epidemic HCV (10)
- Epogen (4)
- ESLD (1)
- faldaprevir (20)
- faldaprevir w-PPI-668/deleobuvir(BI207127) (3)
- faldaprevir/ (BI 201335) (24)
- faldaprevir/BI 207127 (2)
- faldaprevir/DELEOBUVIR (4)
- fatigue (8)
- Fatigue-Cognitive Function-Sleep Quality (3)
- Fatty Liver (126)
- Fatty Liver-RP103 (1)
- FDA (83)
- fibromyalgia (9)
- Fluvastatin (3)
- Foodborne illness (18)
- G7128 (1)
- gallbladder (1)
- gallstones (10)
- gastritis (1)
- Gastroenterologist (2)
- geno1 (104)
- geno2 (57)
- geno3 (65)
- geno4 (32)
- geno5 (6)
- geno6 (11)
- genotype test (1)
- genotypes;All (14)
- green tea (2)
- GS-0938 and Sofosbuvir (1)
- GS-5885 (4)
- GS-7977 now Sofosbuvir (123)
- GS-7977 now Sofosbuvir and simeprevir (TMC435) (8)
- GS-7977 now sofosbuvir / GS-5885 now ledipasvir (20)
- GS-7977 now Sofosbuvir off label use (1)
- GS-7977 now Sofosbuvir Plus Riba (3)
- GS-7977 now Sofosbuvir-FDA Review (10)
- GS-7977 now Sofosbuvir/BMS-790052 now Daclatasvir (11)
- GS-7977 Plus Peg/Riba (3)
- GS-9190 (7)
- GS-9256 (6)
- GS-9451 (2)
- GSK2336805 (4)
- Gut Bacteria (1)
- H pylori (1)
- HALL OF SHAME (44)
- HALT-C (8)
- hav (8)
- hav vaccine (2)
- hbv (113)
- hbv vaccine (4)
- HCV Australia (7)
- hcv abstracts (236)
- HCV agents/drug interactions (1)
- HCV Awareness (84)
- HCV Awareness-screening strategies (36)
- HCV Baby Boomers (41)
- HCV cardiovascular disease (1)
- HCV diet (8)
- HCV Forum (1)
- HCV generics (1)
- HCV hypertension (1)
- HCV natural compounds (1)
- HCV neurocognitive function (1)
- HCV News (1704)
- HCV News-monthly rewind (1)
- HCV News-weekly rewind (20)
- HCV pregnancy (9)
- HCV Protease Inhibitors in Active Drug Users (1)
- HCV replication (3)
- HCV research (97)
- HCV Self-management (1)
- HCV symptoms (3)
- HCV tests (25)
- HCV tests-endoscope (1)
- HCV transmission FAQ (1)
- HCV Vaccine (26)
- HCV vaccine GI-5005 (7)
- HCV Vaccine-TG4040 (MVA-HCV) (2)
- HCV Worldwide (35)
- HCV Worldwide Asia Australia Egypt (2)
- HCV Worldwide-Egypt (1)
- HCV Worldwide-Europe Canada Israel (1)
- HCV Your Health (3)
- HCV-autoimmune diseases (1)
- HCV-Breast Cancer (1)
- HCV-Breast Cancer Risk (1)
- HCV-Editorial (12)
- HCV-Education (76)
- HCV-elderly (5)
- HCV-Insulin resistance (13)
- HCV-Statins (8)
- HCV-TARGET (1)
- HCV/HBV/HIV special populations (1)
- Health Reform (3)
- Health Reform-Insurance (4)
- Healthy you (47)
- hemochromatosis (1)
- HepaFat™ (1)
- Hepatitis-related Renal Disease (1)
- hepatocyte cell transplantation (1)
- hepatologist (2)
- hepatoSys Virtual Liver Network (1)
- herb (36)
- herb-kava (2)
- HEV (4)
- History of HCV (4)
- HIV (120)
- HIV-children (3)
- hiv/hbv-coinfection (1)
- HIV/HCV (80)
- hot topic (9)
- HTAs-host-targeting agents (1)
- human genome (6)
- human interferon alpha lozenges (2)
- Idenix Reports Positive Interim Data for Hepatitis C Drug (1)
- IDX184 (21)
- IDX184-Discontinued (1)
- IDX19368-Discontinued (1)
- IDX19368-hold (2)
- IDX20963/FDA Request More Data (2)
- IDX719 (9)
- if I had.. (9)
- IFNL 4 (1)
- IL-7(CYT 107) (1)
- IL28B (64)
- IL28B Test (2)
- immune system (10)
- IMO-2125 (6)
- Inflammation (3)
- Inflammation Liver (2)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (1)
- INFRADURE Biopump (1)
- Inspirational (28)
- Insurance (1)
- Insurance medicare (1)
- interferon (5)
- Interferon Free Combinations (151)
- Interferon lambdas (1)
- Investment News HCV Drugs (22)
- INX 189 (13)
- IP-10 (1)
- ITX-5061 (1)
- IV drug use (1)
- Joint pain (1)
- Just for fun (5)
- JX594/TG6006 (2)
- Lambda (7)
- ledipasvir (GS-5885) (5)
- Lichen Planus (5)
- List Peer-Reviewed Journals (2)
- Liver Abscess (2)
- liver biopsy (14)
- liver biopsy-necessary in all genotypes? (1)
- liver cancer (260)
- Liver cancer CF102 (2)
- Liver Cancer Treatment (77)
- liver cancer treatment-radiofrequency ablation (RFA) (2)
- Liver Cancer-HEAT Study of ThermoDox(R) (3)
- liver cancer-MCT-465 and MCT-485 (1)
- liver cancer/sorafenib (4)
- Liver Cysts (1)
- liver disease (26)
- Liver Fibrosis (114)
- liver function tests (13)
- liver health (82)
- Liver Injury Dietary Supplements (11)
- Liver Injury-Shark liver oil (1)
- Liver Pain (6)
- liver surgery (3)
- liver/anatomy (1)
- Locteron/interferon (3)
- lymphoma (3)
- M11-602 (1)
- marijuana (30)
- marijuana-based prescription drug (1)
- MBX-700 and MBX-701 (formerly SCH 900942 and SCH 900188) (1)
- Mediterranean diet (2)
- Men and HCV (4)
- microspheres (3)
- Milk thistle (24)
- Miracle Mineral Solution-MMS (1)
- Miravirsen (9)
- miRNAs (1)
- MK-5172 (15)
- MK-5172/peg/riba (1)
- MK-5172/Vaniprevir(MK-7009) (1)
- MK-7009 (4)
- MK-8742 (4)
- monoclonal antibody GS-6624 (1)
- Morbidity-SVR (7)
- Mortality (16)
- nanoparticles (3)
- Nanotechnology (3)
- Natural leukocyte interferon alpha (Alfaferone) (1)
- Neutropenia HCV Treatment (5)
- new drugs (5)
- new hcv drugs (55)
- newly diagnosed (10)
- newsletters (53)
- Nitazoxanide (2)
- noni juice (1)
- noninvasive tests for fibrosis (42)
- nonresponders (9)
- NS5A inhibitor (2)
- NSAID (7)
- nucleoside inhibitors (1)
- null responders (10)
- occult hepatitis C virus infection (1)
- Off Topic (34)
- online pharmacy (1)
- Oral interferon (1)
- organ harvesting (11)
- organ trafficking (5)
- organ trafficking- U.S (1)
- organ-imported tainted tissue (1)
- Origin Of Hepatitis (2)
- Other Conditions Related To HCV (51)
- Other Conditions Related To HCV-Vasculitis (5)
- Other Health News (121)
- OTHER INFECTIOUS DISEASE (20)
- outsourcing clinical trials (3)
- outsourcing drugs (7)
- partial responders (3)
- Pediatric liver disease (3)
- Pegasys (10)
- Peginterferon (77)
- PegIntron (4)
- Peripheral Neuropathy (2)
- PF-05095808 (1)
- Pharmaceuticals (146)
- Pink eye-Sty-and other eye conditions (1)
- platelets (4)
- polymerase inhibitor (16)
- Porphyria Cutanea Tarda (PCT) (2)
- Post Treatment Symptoms (1)
- PPI-383 (1)
- PPI-461 (3)
- PPI-668 (3)
- primary biliary cirrhosis (PBS) (1)
- probiotics (2)
- procrit (4)
- prognostic test:response to therapy (1)
- promacta (1)
- prostate cancer (1)
- protease inhibitor (33)
- protease inhibitor- (NS3/4A) Drug Resistance Test (2)
- PSI-7977 (24)
- PSI-7977 and PSI-938 (1)
- PSI-7977-TMC435 (3)
- PSI-7977/ Daclatasvir-(BMS-790052) (1)
- PSI-938 (6)
- PSI-938-Halted (1)
- Pulmonary fibrosis (1)
- Q80K polymorphism (1)
- Quackery (10)
- Questions About HCV (4)
- rash (10)
- recall (25)
- regeneration (6)
- regenerative Medicine (17)
- relapse (8)
- resistance to protease inhibitors (17)
- response-guided therapy (4)
- RG7128 (9)
- ribavirin (27)
- Ritonavir (1)
- rituximab (2)
- salt (5)
- SB 9200 (1)
- scientists grow human livers in laboratory (7)
- SCY-635 (5)
- SCY-641 (1)
- Seasonal Flu Vaccine (10)
- selenium (2)
- setrobuvir (1)
- side effects (71)
- side effects-direct-acting antivirals (19)
- side effects-eyes (8)
- side effects-telaprevir (4)
- silibinin (4)
- silymarin (4)
- Simeprevir (42)
- Simeprevir now Olysio (11)
- Simeprevir now Olysio FDA Approved (5)
- Simeprevir off label use (1)
- Simeprevir/Samatasvir (IDX719) (1)
- Simeprevir/TMC647055/ Samatasvir (IDX719 (1)
- SIR-Spheres microspheres (3)
- Small fiber neuropathy (2)
- sofosbuvir and ABT-450 (1)
- Sorafenib (6)
- sovaprevir (6)
- Sovaprevir (Formerly ACH-1625) (7)
- Sovaprevir/ACH-3102 (2)
- sphincter of Oddi (3)
- spleen (6)
- SPONTANEOUS CLEARANCE (13)
- Standardization of Terminology of Virological Response (1)
- Starting HCV Treatment (75)
- STAT-C (3)
- stem cell lawsuit (2)
- stem cell tourism (7)
- stem cell-diabetes (1)
- stem cells (82)
- stem cells-pluripotent (2)
- stem-cell-derived liver tissue model (1)
- stigma (1)
- supplements (22)
- support (48)
- support-hotline (5)
- Surgery in liver disease (3)
- svr (81)
- svr durability (4)
- svr-pitavastatin (Livalo) (1)
- svr-rapid response (1)
- SVR24-SVR12-SVR4 (9)
- Tattoos (2)
- telaprevir (125)
- Telaprevir FDA Transcript (1)
- telaprevir medication guide (1)
- telaprevir patient assistance (3)
- telaprevir prescribing information (1)
- telaprevir with VX-222 (20)
- telaprevir-incivek (235)
- telaprevir-incivek-Cost (3)
- Tenofovir (2)
- Terry's nails (1)
- TG4040 (2)
- Thalidomide (1)
- The natural history of hepatitis C (3)
- TheraSphere (2)
- Thrombocytopenia (4)
- Thrombocytopenia-Promacta (1)
- thrombosis (3)
- thyroid (11)
- Timeline Hepatiits (1)
- Timeline Hepatitis (1)
- TMC435 (26)
- TMC435 (Simeprevir) (36)
- TMC435-BMS-790052 (3)
- TMC647055 (3)
- TMC647055 and IDX719 (1)
- TMC649128 (4)
- toxicity (28)
- transmission (72)
- Transmission clinical setting (93)
- Transmission clinical setting-Government Report 2012 (1)
- Transmission of HCV Through Transplanted Organs (2)
- transmission-needlestick (3)
- transplant (182)
- transplant tourism (7)
- Transplant- Telaprevir/Boceprevir (3)
- transplant-certican (1)
- Transplant-GS-7977 now Sofosbuvir (1)
- transplant-MELD (8)
- Triad Prep Pads (16)
- TT-034 (1)
- tylenol (17)
- upper abdominal pain (2)
- varices (14)
- video (269)
- viral load (11)
- Virtual Liver (1)
- virus research (3)
- vitamin A (6)
- vitamin B12 (3)
- vitamin D (40)
- vitamin E (7)
- Vitamin E-TE/TCP supplements (1)
- vitamin k (1)
- vitamins (11)
- weekend reading (53)
- wellness (52)
- women (13)
- Xifaxan (1)
- XIX International AIDS Conference (4)
- zalbin (1)
- zinc (2)
Click here to order a FREE Home Access Hepatitis C Test Kit
How Soon Should I Get Tested After Exposure ?
After the exposure (especially if the blood exposure involved another person known to have the hepatitis C virus), it is recommended that testing for the hepatitis C antibody be performed at 4 to 6 months after the exposure OR that testing for the hepatitis C virus itself (a test often called an HCV PCR or hepatitis C viral load test) be performed 4 to 6 weeks after the potential exposure. These tests are done to determine whether or not hepatitis C infection has occurred as a result of the exposure.;
FAIR USE NOTICE:
If this site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner, it is being made available in an effort to advance the understanding of the ethics dealing with medical practice, medical care, new drug research, drug trials, science and scientific research, human rights, social justice and, in addition, the law and politics which cover these areas. It is believed that this use constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed to visitors of this “HCV New Drugs Blog” without profit to the blog or to those who by visiting this blog have expressed interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. The material in this site is provided for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for a health care provider's consultation. Please consult your own appropriate health care provider about the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your own symptoms or medical conditions. The information on this site does not constitute legal or technical advice
- New HCV Drugs
- Keeping current on the potential arrival of new improved hepatitis C drugs. As once a hepatitis C patient myself (I successfully treated the virus with standard HCV therapy in 2000) I understand the difficult decisions and overwhelming fear that ensues after being diagnosed with this serious and life-changing disease. This blog serves as a starting point for information on the rapidly evolving number of new agents in development to treat hepatitis C. Tina